Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Morning

This morning was a powerful one, as Sunday mornings usually are. Everything was normal and great; the only difference was that I received two very vivid (yet brief) visions from God. I know, I probably sound like a lunatic to some of you, but it's not weird stuff; it was actually very cool.

The first was when we were laying hands on someone and praying for her husband and another man in our church who are leaving to encourage some churches in South Korea and Niger. As we all had our eyes closed and were praying, I had a very clear picture of the church. Not the church as in our church, Commonwealth Chapel, but the church in the larger sense: all the followers of Christ. I had a picture in my head of hundreds of different church bodies across the world who were almost certainly gathered at the same time as we were. In my vision, they were all either praying or lifting their arms high in worship. It was inspiring, and it was a really comforting reminder of how many family members we all, as Christians, have. Very cool.

My second vision was less pleasant, but with a good message. All of a sudden, during worship, I had a very clear vision of Jack, my son, on an altar. We were singing a line at the time that goes "...bought with the precious blood of Christ."

I realized that there is no one on the face of this planet, no human being in existence for whom I would allow my son to be killed. No one. And just as Jackson is my only son, Jesus was the only son of God the Father--and unlike myself, God was willing to give up His only son for not just anyone, but everyone. I was suddenly struck by the gravity of that fact; I began to cry just thinking of having to give up Jackson for someone else's sake. I could not bear the very thought of it, and I literally begged God for a full minute to take the image away. I couldn't even handle the thought of giving Jack up; the very thought of it had me in tears. But God did it. For me.

God thought I was worth it. As much as I love my family and friends, I honestly have to say that I cannot think of anyone for whom I would willingly give up Jackson. But God thought I was worthy of his only Son's precious blood. Incredible.




For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16

2 comments:

E.L.McIntosh said...

This post reminded me of my medieval women's literature class, mostly because they saw visions back then too. I'll just write you a message on facebook. Hope you are having a good week! Love the picture of you and Jack.

E.L.McIntosh said...

This post reminded me of my medieval women's literature class, mostly because they saw visions back then too. I'll just write you a message on facebook. Hope you are having a good week! Love the picture of you and Jack.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers