Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I hope waiting a month between posts isn't a problem...ha

So. We moved into this house a month ago and have settled in pretty well. There are a few things we still want to do around here, but apparently those things will have to wait...because I am on strict bed rest.

You may wonder if this has to do with the complications (PIH and IUGR) I had when I was pregnant with Jackson. The answer is: no. This time it's preterm labor. In other words, I am really, exceptionally bad at being pregnant.

Last Wednesday morning I woke up around 6 am with menstrual-like cramping. I thought it was weird but knew if it went away when I changed positions then it was nothing to worry about. So, I changed positions. Several times. And it didn't go away. Around 6:15 I knocked on the bathroom door (Bo had just gotten out of the shower) and told Bo I was cramping some and I thought I should call the doctor. He agreed.

I called the after hours line for my doctor's office and the doctor on call called me back within 10 minutes. She asked me some questions, including asking whether the cramping had a pattern or if it was just constant. At the time it was constant. She told me I should come in to labor and delivery, but when I mentioned I had a 2 year old to deal with, she said it would be fine just to try to get an office visit first thing that morning. I agreed and hung up.

Within the next about 15 minutes, the cramping took on a pattern; it turned into distinct and separate contractions, about every 4 minutes. I called the doctor back and she told me just to come in that morning and they would monitor me.

I got an appointment for 8:45 am and Bo, Jack, and I headed to the office (with my mom on high alert in case we needed her to take Jack). In the elevator on the way up to the office I told Bo, "They're just going to tell me I'm a hypochondriac and send me home." Not so.

I was examined and put on a TOCO and fetal heart rate monitor (as well as a kick count monitor) for I guess about 45 minutes. I was definitely contracting, so they had me wheeled over to the triage area for labor and delivery at the hospital (it's attached to my doc's office).

I was monitored in triage and put on IV fluids for about 2 1/2 hours or so. They did a test that is supposed to indicate whether I would go into preterm labor, and it was negative! We were happy about that...but at the same time I was having painful contractions regularly at 2 to 3 minutes apart, so the doctor was concerned.

They gave me a shot of a drug that stops any contractions that aren't real labor contractions. It worked for 20 minutes and then the contractions came back, full force. At that point I was diagnosed with preterm labor. They gave me steroids to help Lily's lungs develop faster and started me on antibiotics in case my group b strep test came back positive. The doctor examined me and was very concerned that my cervix had changed in the couple of hours I'd been in there.

I was admitted to the hospital and sent into labor and delivery to receieve magnesium sulfate to stop the contractions. I won't go into details, but that is one nasty drug. I was on it for 24 hours, at which time I was also given another dose of steroids. I was also started on nifedipine to keep contractions at bay, which I am still on and will be until they decide I am ready to deliver.

Over the next couple of days I had some bleeding. They did tests and decided it was just my irritated cervix. I also continued to have contractions off and on so I was monitored off and on. I was getting better but they were still concerned, so they kept me 5 days total. On Sunday I was examined, and since my cervix hadn't changed any more they discharged me to strict bed rest.

Strict bed rest means I must be lying down (not even sitting is allowed) except to eat, go to the bathroom, or take a quick shower once a day (I've been ordered not to "linger" haha). I am only allowed in the car to go to doctor visits.

I will be on strict bed rest for at least 2 more weeks, at which time I will have a few more liberties, but will still have to take it easy. If I do go into labor at that point though, they won't stop it, especially since Lily has had steroids so she would probably be okay.

I saw my doctor yesterday and all is well for now- Lily already is estimated at 4 lbs 3 oz, which is only 8 oz less than Jack weighed at birth (36 weeks)! That was very encouraging.

In the mean time, my mom is helping a TON and Bo has been incredible. My MOPS friends are going to bring us meals, too, which is such a blessing. If we can just hang in here for 2 more weeks, we'll all be okay. :)

"Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7

1 comment:

Suz said...

When we loaded my mom in the car yesterday, she had to lay across the backseat because of her cast. Does Bo have to lay you across the backseat when you go to the doctor? Even if the answer is no, I'm going to pretend it's yes because the mental image is pretty hilarious.

I'm pretty excited that blogger loves you again, even if you only post once a day.

And I love all 4 of you Cobbs.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers